Working out might not sound like taking care of yourself to some of us, (I die everytime) but doesn’t it make you feel 10 times better when you’re done? There’s a reason for this. I’m no gym head, but when you exercise it increases endorphins, dopamine, and adrenaline. These brain chemicals automatically help reduce feelings of stress and anxiousness. They are also often associated with the feelings of happiness and confidence, which is why we usually end a workout by admiring ourselves in the mirror.
A minimum of 20 minutes per day can significantly enhance your mood. If you’re someone who is new to working out, at the beginning the feeling of happiness will last longer than for those who have worked out for an extended period of time.
I know sometimes it can be hard to motivate yourself to get up early and go straight to the gym. So, here are my top five tips to get you started.
- Find a workout buddy! I can’t stress this enough. Doing anything with your friends is fun. Also, if one of you is struggling to get up one day, the other can rip their blankets away.
- Make a fun playlist. Music can always get me hyped, which is why I encourage you to put all your favorite songs together. Now, there’s no way you shouldn’t want to hit the gym.
- Start off small. Have goals, but make sure they’re realistic and attainable. I started off by working out twice a week. Once I felt comfortable, I began to add more days. Remember, baby steps.
- Follow motivational pages on your socials. Not only will this work as a reminder every time you hop on Instagram, but as motivation too. Here is a list to some of my favorites.
- Maintain a balanced/healthy diet. If you’re trying to get into the gym more, start with making minor changes in your diet. Whenever I quit eating junk food, I’m more motivated to get to the gym and make it worth it.
If those tips didn’t do it for you, try these.
Now that we have tips to get you in the gym, let’s talk about workouts. If you’re as unfamiliar with the gym as I am, then you probably have no idea where to start. This website offers six different workouts to choose from. And don’t underestimate Youtube. They have the best workout videos for beginners, and the best part is that you can follow at your own pace. So what are you waiting for? Let’s hit the gym.
Here are some different excercise ideas to gain inspiration from.